In it’s fifth anniversary year, it’s only right to end the year’s isolatedmix series with something that connects back to the very first few posts on ASIP. For those that have been with me for the full ride, you’ll recognise the name, todos.
His mixes were some of the very first I posted on the site back in 2008 and some of the best mixes I had heard in a very long time. Revisiting the feedback on the first mix he ever posted just now, lots of people are with me and still exploring his early mixes to this day.
Spanning multiple genres, creative, unique, meticulously crafted and above all epic, todos spends months at a time putting these journeys together. Upon listening you’ll hear the blood, sweat and tears that have gone into each one.
He is a pioneer of todays shift to digital mixing, but he doesn’t use it for lack of laziness. Amongst the 47+ channels of audio and midi lie a multitude of custom samples, tempo blends and effects – something of a trademark since todos’ very first Kilchurn Session.
The Kilchurn Sessions have reached a special anniversary tenth edition and i’m beyond pleased that todos has crafted this milestone as part of the isolatedmix series. It’s been a great five years for ASIP and i’m proud that the likes of todos have been a part of it since the beginning.
“Five years have passed since I completed the first Kilchurn Session mix. A mix inspired by my partner, and our Winter’s walk at Loch Awe in Scotland; a place of outstanding landscape and beauty. The challenge for me was to create a mix using tracks with extreme differences in tempo, something I would not have been able to do using a set of 1210’s and mixer.
It would comprise of a collection of personal favourite tracks, old and new, laced with soundscapes, samples and spoken word, yet not following a set genre throughout. What was supposed to be a one off, gained surprising feedback and support from Nick Warren and ASIP which catapulted it into places I never thought it would reach. The demand for another soon followed and now, 5 years on, it is with great pleasure I can bring you the tenth instalment as an Isolatedmix, and a first that incorporates original compositions by Devoted Enemies, in which I am involved” – todos .
01. todos – ‘Intro’
02. Abstract World – ‘Mirage’
03. Sigur Ros – ‘Varðeldur’ / Sigur Ros – ‘Ég anda’ edit
04. Jon Hopkins – ‘The Wider Sun’ / King Creosote & Jon Hopkins ‘First Watch’ edit
05. Kiyoko – ‘Something To Think About’ / Jon Hopkins ‘The River’
06. Devoted Enemies – ‘Anx’
07. Nils Petter Molvær – ‘A Small Realm’
08. Apparat – ‘Tod’
09. Mogwai – ‘Letters to the Metro’ edit / S O H N – ‘Bloodflows’ / The XX – ‘Chained’ (Sasha Beatless Mix) edit
10. Oxia – ‘Exaila’
11. Abstract World – ‘Path’
12. Agnes Obel – ‘The Curse’
13. Sin Fang – ‘Young Boys’ (Jonsi Remix)
14. Nathan Fake – Paean (Coda)
15. Pye Corner Audio – ‘Toward Light’
16. Moderat – ‘The Mark (Interlude) / Boards Of Canada – ‘Nothing Is Real’ edit
17. Lowb – ‘Whealer Dealer Healer’
18. Boards Of Canada – ‘Telepath’
19. Daniel Avery – ‘Platform Zero’
20. Clark – ‘Black Stone’ / todos – ‘Subway’
21. Cotton Wolf – ‘Cassette 98′
22. Alt Fenster – ‘Sur Cette Feuille’
23. Borealis – ‘Nightfall’ (Ben Lukas Boysen remix)
Plus samples & effects.
As already mentioned above, todos has also started a new production project titled ‘Devoted Enemies’ and you can stream the duo’s first EP below with downloads available via Soundcloud. Similar to the isolatedmix journey, it’s a glorious blend of electronic, post-rock and ambient, focusing on detailed instrumentation and euphoric melodies. Can’t wait to see where this project goes…