Do you have an hour? This is where we are going. Some place different.
The ambient music has gone for this one. The closest you’re getting is the first two tracks, but this quickly changes. I started this mix with the intention of producing a journey full of repetitive, melodic electronic music. That was the brief to myself: repetitive and melodic. But as always, given it was closing in on 3am and I had a few beers by my side, this quickly changed and turned into a set that i’d play, or at least want to hear if I was stood surrounded by hundreds of people in the desert with the sun slowly descending behind the dusty mountains [insert your moment of escapism here].
I dag into quite a few old records and looking back at the track listing, quite a few of them are big inspirations of mine (and for many others i’m sure), and especially influential in not only getting me into ‘techno’ (or more club orientated music), but served as introductions to a completely different musical world. If it wasn’t for this early Paul Kalkbrenner remix, I would never have stumbled across SInce 77 – one of my favourite tech-ambient tracks of all time. If it wasn’t for Donnacha Costello’s Colour Series (of which Grape features), I would never have discovered his earlier ambient (and more recent) productions. Same with Jesse Somfay, his 2005 album, ‘Between Heartbeats‘ is still some of his best work yet in my opinion, and without this, there would’ve been no introduction to Borealis (or one of his many other guises of today).
Anyway, you get what i’m saying… there’s an underlying inspiration to this mix, be it in my eyes only, but I hope you can find it and enjoy it with me.
01. Jon Hopkins – Amphora (Unreleased)
02. Âme – Doldrums (2008)
03. Ellen Allien & Apparat – Jet (Paul Kalkbrenner Remix) (2006)
04. Donnacha Costello – Grape (2004)
05. Kollektiv Turmstrasse – Heimat (Robag Wruhme’s Turmkolle Rekksmow) (2011)
06. The Field – Everday (2009)
07. Pantha Du Prince – Saturn Strobe (2007)
08. Andre Lodemann – Where Are You Now? (2009)
09. Roland Klinkenberg – Mexico Can Wait (2007)
10. Jesse Somfay – Walking Through Rain On Cloudless Days (2005)
11. Fuck Buttons – Space Mountain (2009)