ASIP – 1.00.00

Do you have an hour? This is where we are going. Some place different.

The ambient music has gone for this one. The closest you’re getting is the first two tracks, but this quickly changes. I started this mix with the intention of producing a journey full of repetitive, melodic electronic music. That was the brief to myself: repetitive and melodic. But as always, given it was closing in on 3am and I had a few beers by my side, this quickly changed and turned into a set that i’d play, or at least want to hear if I was stood surrounded by hundreds of people in the desert with the sun slowly descending behind the dusty mountains [insert your moment of escapism here].

I dag into quite a few old records and looking back at the track listing, quite a few of them are big inspirations of mine (and for many others i’m sure), and especially influential in not only getting me into ‘techno’ (or more club orientated music), but served as introductions to a completely different musical world. If it wasn’t for this early Paul Kalkbrenner remix, I would never have stumbled across SInce 77 – one of my favourite tech-ambient tracks of all time. If it wasn’t for Donnacha Costello’s Colour Series (of which Grape features), I would never have discovered his earlier ambient (and more recent) productions. Same with Jesse Somfay, his 2005 album, ‘Between Heartbeats‘ is still some of his best work yet in my opinion, and without this, there would’ve been no introduction to Borealis (or one of his many other guises of today).

Anyway, you get what i’m saying… there’s an underlying inspiration to this mix, be it in my eyes only, but I hope you can find it and enjoy it with me.

Download.

Tracklist:
01. Jon Hopkins – Amphora (Unreleased)
02. Âme – Doldrums (2008)
03. Ellen Allien & Apparat – Jet (Paul Kalkbrenner Remix) (2006)
04. Donnacha Costello – Grape (2004)
05. Kollektiv Turmstrasse – Heimat (Robag Wruhme’s Turmkolle Rekksmow) (2011)
06. The Field – Everday (2009)
07. Pantha Du Prince – Saturn Strobe (2007)
08. Andre Lodemann – Where Are You Now? (2009)
09. Roland Klinkenberg – Mexico Can Wait (2007)
10. Jesse Somfay – Walking Through Rain On Cloudless Days (2005)
11. Fuck Buttons – Space Mountain (2009)

—–

Discussion

14 Responses to “ASIP – 1.00.00”

1. Nice! I think there is always space for mixes like this amongst all the awesome ambient mixes coming out :)

Posted by Micky | April 28, 2012, 5:48 pm
  2. Great! More like this please. :)

Posted by rikkit | April 29, 2012, 3:03 am
  3. Love the deep hypnotic techno towards the end. Fresh and imaginative!

Posted by SaiensuFikushon | April 29, 2012, 2:29 pm
  4. Love this mix. Brilliant! Love the start of it too and the progressive build up of beats. It would also have been a great mix if you’d stuck with repetitive and melodic given the strength of the first two tracks. Never lose sight of what you set out to achieve!! Try again for the repetitive and melodic mix!
    Top effort.
    Lee.

Posted by Lee G | May 1, 2012, 11:10 am
  5. Digging this massively Ryan. Great tracks & sequencing. Nice work man ! whoa

Posted by petesrdic | May 4, 2012, 8:07 am
  6. Thanks Pete, was hoping you’d get into this one (being a techno fan and all ;-)

Posted by Ryan | May 4, 2012, 12:57 pm
  7. @Lee, i very well may have to going by the kind response to this one!

Posted by Ryan | May 4, 2012, 12:57 pm
  8. Thank you for sharing this Ryan, it is so, so good when you hit on a mix that, track after track, makes you grin from ear to ear.

It conjures up all sorts of memories, from sitting on a mountain looking at the city lights to rolling out of a club at chucking out time, dancing to some amalgamation of everything you heard earlier.

Awesome!

Posted by Eric | May 5, 2012, 10:26 pm
  9. Thanks Eric, very kind words :-)

Posted by Ryan | May 6, 2012, 12:04 am
  10. I love this. I’m kicking myself for not finding it sooner; I had the pleasure of spending six hours taking a big Mercedes from London to Scotland earlier this week, and this would have been a perfect accompaniment for hundreds of motorway miles :)

Posted by James | May 9, 2012, 11:29 am
  11. Simply a great mix.

Posted by Rob | May 29, 2012, 8:36 pm
  12. Gorgeous mix! But the download link is down. Could you reupload it? That would be great.

Posted by uproar | April 26, 2014, 3:34 am
  13. sorry i’ve had to remove this mix at the request of one of the artists.

Posted by Ryan | April 27, 2014, 10:38 am

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Pingback: Das Kraftfuttermischwerk » Techno, ambient und mit ganz viel Melodie: ASIP – 1.00.00 - April 30, 2012